DC Courts Libraries
The District of Columbia Courts have two libraries: the D.C. Court of Appeals (DCCA) Library, located at the Historic Courthouse (Court of Appeals), is not open to the public but their librarian is available via email for reference help, and the D.C. Superior Court Library, located at the Moultrie Courthouse, is open to the public, but is currently closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The libraries offer the following resources to assist the public with legal research.
The libraries have compiled links to local and federal resources you may find helpful while navigating our courts system. Included are links to D.C. law, the D.C. Code, regulations (local and federal), court case locaters, reference materials and links to other local resource agencies. These external resources can assist you in finding information whether you're an attorney or a party without an attorney.
If you need help with these resources, please contact the following:
DC Superior Court Library – library [at] dcsc.gov
DC Court of Appeals LIbrary – lmoorer [at] dcappeals.gov
- This page provides access to legal information and resources, not legal advice.
- Most links are to outside resources (not maintained by the D.C. Courts).
- District of Columbia Bar
- Legal Aid D.C.
- Public Defender Service for D.C.
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C.
- Office of Attorney General D.C.
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program
- American Bar Association
- AARP-Legal Counsel for the Elderly
- Neighborhood Legal Services
- Bread for the City
- D.C. Law Students in Court/Rising Justice
- Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- University Legal Services
- University of the District of Columbia School of Law Housing
- D.C. Affordable Law Firm
- D.C. Coalition for Housing Justice
- D.C. Courts' List of Non-Attorney Civil Legal Services
- U.S. Constitution (from the Library of Congress)
- U.S. Code (from govinfo.gov)
- Code of Federal Regulations, C.F.R.
- United States Courts
- Supreme Court of the United States
- The United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- American University Washington College of Law (Pence Law Library)
- Catholic University, Columbus School Law (Judge Kathryn J. DuFour Law Library)
- George Washington University Law (Burns Law Library)
- Georgetown Law Library
- Howard University School of Law (Vernon E. Jordan, Jr., Law Library)
- University of Maryland School of Law (Thurgood Marshall Law Library)