Family Court Self-Help Center
- The Family Court Self-Help Center is a free walk-in service that provides unrepresented people with general legal information in a variety of family law matters (such as divorce, custody, visitation, child support).
The Self-Help Center staff can:
- Provide you with information about D.C. family law matters
- Inform you of your legal rights and obligations
- Describe your legal options
- Help you determine which forms are most appropriate for you and how to complete them
- Explain how to navigate the court process, and what to expect in court
- Refer you to other helpful clinics and programs
Family Court Self-Help Center 2
- If the family law matter is too complex or otherwise inappropriate for the Center, we will try to refer you to a legal or social service provider who can help you.
Family Court Self-Help Center 2a
Note:We cannot provide legal advice, take sides in any case, or represent anyone in court.
Family Court Self-Help Center 3
The DC Bar Pro Bono Program offers a free divorce clinic and a free custody clinic for people who wish to represent themselves in such cases. These clinics are conducted in the Superior Court and are held every month. For more information, link to the DC Bar Website or call 202-737-4700 x 3292.
Family Court Self-Help (Hours and Contact)
Hours of OperationMondays-Fridays: 8:00a.m.-5:30 p.m.
No new intakes accepted after 5:00 p.m.
500 Indiana Avenue, NW, JM-570
Washington, D.C. 20001
Main ContactsGeneral Information
John King, Esq.
Acting Branch Chief