Family Court Self-Help Center
- The Family Court Self-Help Center is a free walk-in service that provides unrepresented people with general legal information in a variety of family law matters (such as divorce, custody, visitation, child support). The Center is located in room JM-570.
We can help...
- Provide you with information about D.C. family law matters
- Inform you of your legal rights and obligations
- Describe your legal options
- Help you determine which forms are most appropriate for you and how to complete them
- Explain how to navigate the court process, and what to expect in court
- Refer you to other helpful clinics and programs
Hours of operation...
- The Center’s hours of operation are from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Please arrive by 4:30 pm to be seen that day.
Note:If the family law matter is too complex or otherwise inappropriate for the Center, we will try to refer you to a legal or social service provider for assistance.
Note:The DC Bar Pro Bono Program offers a free divorce clinic and a free custody clinic for people who wish to represent themselves in such cases. These clinics are conducted in the Superior Court and are held every month. For more information, link to the DC Bar Website or call 202-737-4700 x 3292.