- The Judge-in-Chambers office handles emergency matters during the court's normal business hours. ‘Emergencies’ meaning those issues that require expedited judicial decision-making, such as temporary restraining orders, authorizations for medical treatments in life-threatening situations, and warrants, etc. There are a number of other procedures that the judge in chambers handles as well.
- The Judge-in Chambers office is located in room 4220 on the fourth floor of the Moultrie Courthouse (500 Indiana Avenue, NW). It is open 8:30 to 5:30 Monday through Friday, except government holidays. The office phone number is 202/879-1450.
- If you have an emergency that you feel needs the attention of the Judge-in-Chambers, please go to the appropriate division (Criminal, Civil, Domestic Violence, Family, Probate, or Tax) and the staff will refer you to the appropriate form or person.
Judge in Chambers handles the following motions and procedures:
- Arrest, bench and search warrants
- Authorization for medical treatment (medical emergency)
- Temporary restraining orders
- Writs of habeas corpus
- Subpoenas for depositions
- Motions to proceed in forma pauperis
- Orders for the issuance of warrants and advertising of seizure
- Default decrees of condemnation
- Enforcement of foreign judgments
- Writs of attachment before judgment
- Application for change of name (must have birth certificate to process application)
- Petition to amend minor/adult birth certificate (must have birth certificate to process petition)
- Petition to amend death certificate
- Petition to amend marriage certificate
Marriage License waiting period waivers
Authorization to perform marriages application