During Your Jury Service
- What can you expect during your jury duty service?
- Please be prepared to spend time waiting in the Jurors' Lounge prior to serving as a juror.
The Court apologizes for this inconvenience, but please know the Jurors' Office staff is aware of your concerns. Many administrative processes have been implemented to minimize your waiting time. The waiting is caused by the fact that trials are scheduled to begin at different times throughout the day and parties may settle the case at any time prior to commencing the trial. Therefore predicting when, or if, you will actually get sent to a courtroom is very difficult.
Please be PatientThe fact that available jurors are present in the courthouse and are ready to serve on a trial and render a verdict may encourage parties to resolve a dispute or enter a plea. Therefore, your mere presence in the courthouse actually serves the ends of justice.
Bring Things to DoBooks, magazines, newspapers, laptops, tablets, cards, and other quiet activities are permitted. The Jurors' Lounge has televisions, vending machines, Wi-Fi access, and public telephones. As a courtesy, the Jurors' Business Center is equipped with carrels, Wi-Fi & modem access, a facsimile, and a copier. Wi-Fi access is also available in the surrounding area.
- The Jurors' Office, in conjunction with D.C. Courts' Child Care Center, provides child care services for jurors while they are serving jury duty.
- Also, in conjunction with the Office of Court Interpreting Services and the Court Reporting and Recording Division, sign language interpreting services and other accommodations are provided for Deaf/Hard of Hearing jurors. To request interpreting services, CART (Communication Access Realtime Translation), or an assistive listening device, contact JurorHelp@dcsc.gov.
- A lactation room is available for nursing mothers.
- Jurors with disabilities and those with special needs are encouraged to indicate such on the juror questionnaire. For additional information regarding the services we provide to jurors, please contact us at JurorHelp@dcsc.gov, at 202-879-4604, or chat with us via Live Chat on the Jury homepage at www.dccourts.gov/jury.
Live Chat During Your Jury Service